Sunday, March 18, 2012

Drop. Your. Sword.

March has become an anomaly this year in NW Ohio.  We are still technically in winter, but for the past week and predicted for this week are 70+ temps and sunny skies.  Not that I'm complaining.  In fact, far from complaining, I had a really nice day today and felt good and energetic, kind of like I feel at spring's renewal.  It was the kind of day that made me pause in what I was doing and acknowledge out loud how awesome it was.  Good music in the background, fresh air through the open windows, and good book in hand.  What more can one ask?

To top it off, a little rendition of, "Mawage is what bwings us togever today," spoken aloud by yours truly while I was cleaning the bathroom instantly put in me the mood for The Princess Bride, and so I popped it in.  I haven't watched it in years, but I was instantly pulled back in to the fantasy and humor and anticipating lines before they were ever spoken.  I love that I still love this movie.  I know that tastes change over the years, but there are just some things that never budge from one's heart.  I remember the mileage I put on the old VHS I borrowed from a friend when I was young.  I think I watched it ten times or more and it might have been a year before I returned it.  When I got my first DVD player, this was one of the first DVDs I bought, and for good reason.  Cary Elwes is full of charm (and still is, in case you haven't seen his turn as Pierre Despereaux in Psych), much as the movie is.  As Westley and Buttercup run through the fire swamp, I thought how in this generation of remakes, I'd hate to see The Princess Bride get an upgrade, because there is no need.  Even the practical effects that are pure 80's camp of the ROUS's (Rodents of Unusual Size for those of you who are not in the know) seem just right.  And no one can replace Andre the Giant.  No one.  It wouldn't be sportsmanlike. 

So, today was a good day, what with storming the castle and all.  Most of my days past have been good since my last post two months ago (or has it been longer?).  2012 has thus far turned out to be pretty decent.  I guess I'm doing something right. 

It's past 9 pm, the windows are still open, 80's pop is playing on the TV and my cat is snugged up against me without a care in the world.  No, I really have nothing to complain about.  Hell, with Kool & the Gang's "Ladies Night" jamming through the apartment, complaining would be, well, inconceivable.

1 comment:

  1. The Princess Bride is one of my favs too. Robin Wright didn't seem to age between that movie and when she did Forrest Gump.

    ReplyDelete