Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Conditions...

...are that traffic will be a nightmare everyday of August.  I live outside a moderate sized city.  Traffic is generally tolerable with very few snarls.  Gridlock is not really an issue.  Back ups do happen, but rarely.  Well, at least, I had thought so.

I don't know if it's a result of so-called progress, with construction springing up new highways and what-not, or just dumb people, or a combination of both (dangerous indeed), but since August 1, I have seen a trend that is very disturbing.

That first sunny day I ran into a backup off my home road due to lane closures and on my detour, passed one three car accident and one single car accident within less than a block of each other.  Tragedy hit a few days later when three people were killed in a highway accident that was the result of an accident just moments before.  Another couple of days and another three car accident on the bridge I cross everyday on the way home, detouring me thirty minutes out of my way.  An accident two days ago on the highway rerouted everyone to my normal path home, slowing everything down. 

I'm whining.  And, I'm whining about something that's probably not even very interesting.  What it is, is just the way it is.  But the number of car accidents I've heard about, passed, avoided, just seem higher than normal.  Are we too distracted?  Impatient?  Frankly, I'm a little nervous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment