Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Instant, er, Gratification

Well, there's nothing gratifying about my most recent job application experience, but it was certainly efficient.  I have completed a lot of online applications, and for the most part, I prefer them.  I can still upload a cover letter and resume, but there is just something comforting about filling in fields.  Well, that just sounds weird, doesn't it?  Anyway, most online application systems are intuitive and quick.  The one I used today was no different, but it had one glaringly annoying feature: Unnecessary steps. 

About halfway through the application, there are supplemental questions regarding the specific position for which I'm applying.  I answer them and move on to filling out education and work history and references and this and that and the other thing.  I certify my honesty, hit the next button, and get a confirmation number, positioned on the screen above an instant rejection.  Based on my responses to the supplemental questions, I am unqualified.  Fine, that's fair.  I'm not hurt.  But why wasn't this pointed out before the, ultimately, gratuitous information I input after the questions?  There is a bit of a design flaw there.

Well, I shadowed this position on my Excel spreadsheet, where there are others now dimmed indicating rejection.  The numbers have picked up from the two I received in January.  In two cases, the position couldn't be filled due to a lack of funding.  I feel more sorry for the institution than myself in those cases.  Anyway, the first quarter of 2011 isn't exactly showing well for the job hunt, but that just means I have to reconsider my approach.  Or find something else to do.  I recently edited a family oral history project.  That was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment